For anyone who is stuck inside at an office job, it can be a real challenge to find ways to promote a healthy lifestyle chained behind a desk. Regardless that you are sitting behind a desk eight hours a day, five days a week, there are creative ways you can promote a more healthy lifestyle with very little extra effort. Here are some office worker tips that will help you to stay more energetic throughout the day and keep you fit at the same time.
1. Bring your own healthy lunch to work rather than eating fast food or from the office cafeteria. Take time to bring your lunch somewhere other than your desk to eat, possibly outside where you can get some fresh air for thirty minutes.
2. If you work in an office building that has several floors, take the stairs back and forth to your floor each day. If the climb is too much in the morning, make it a point each day to leave for home by way of the stairs, this is a great cardio workout for your legs and respiratory system.
3. Make it a point to get up from your desk at least once every hour and walk around. This means go get some water, go to the bathroom, or simply deliver a memo in person to another in your office rather than emailing or calling them.
4. Park your vehicle in the furthest spot you can from your office. This additional distance will give you a little extra workout before and after work that really adds up each week. Take a walk to the car at lunch to get in a few extra minutes of exercise.
5. If you live close enough to work, consider riding a bike or even walking to work when the weather permits. During the early morning or late afternoon hours, the sun is not as hot as at noon. The cool morning air will revitalize you and have you ready for a full days work.
6. Depending on how long your lunch break is, if you have a gym close enough you could squeeze in a quick workout and a shower and be back to work in no time. If you pack your own lunch you could eat before you get in the car, then get in a few minutes of aerobic exercise and be back at work revitalized for the afternoon push.
7. One of the most important meals of the day is breakfast. Regardless how busy you are, find time to eat a healthy breakfast and your day will be much more productive. If you are running late, grab a fruit bar and eat it as you head off to work. Bring some fruit with you and nibble on it as you make your way to your desk.
8. Try to find ways to substitute a healthy juice in place of coffee. Coffee will give you a quick burst of energy, but the crash is going to be significant later in the day. The nutrients from juices will carry you much longer and are healthier for you. With a huge variety of fruits available, you could experiment with a new flavor each day.
9. When you get little breaks throughout the day, rather than hit the water cooler for gossip, take a walk outside and get some fresh air. A simple walk around the building could re-energize your body for the rest of the afternoon.
10. When that afternoon craving occurs, rather than hitting the candy machine, reach for a healthy snack. Put some raisins, peanuts, or small pretzels in your desk drawer and chew on those instead of loading up on sugar.
These simple health tips for office workers will make you more productive and help keep your body healthier.