Chocolate is a well-loved treat, people just cannot seem to get enough of it. Whilst this is a problem for many, there is no reason why a small amount of chocolate cannot be enjoyed as part of a responsible and healthy diet.
These Nutella power bars are the perfect naughty treat to reward yourself with when you have been good. Not only do they contain the great chocolaty taste, but are also packed full of nutrient and energy giving fruits and nuts. Furthermore, it’s a breeze to make!
Now let us get one thing straight here. Although we are classing this as a ‘healthy’ snack, it is not something you can have tons of. Chocolate is not good for you in large amounts, irrespective of how many other healthy ingredients are involved. This is an occasional treat to help sate your sweet tooth whilst ensuring you are still getting some wholesome fruit and nut at the same time. Enjoy it responsibly.
On a side note, dark chocolate, which is involved in the recipe, has been shown to help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease!
50g of brown puffed rice cereal
200g of dried apricots
200g of other desired dried fruit (such as a mix of apples, blueberries, cranberries, cherries etc.)
255g of mixed nuts (such as pecans and almonds)
170g of honey
230 grams of Nutella
90 grams of chopped dark chocolate
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
2 level tablespoons of brown sugar
A pinch of sea salt
1. Line a 20cm square cake tin with grease proof paper and rub it down with butter.
2. Put your dried fruits, nuts, dark chocolate and puffed rice cereal in a large mixing bowl and stir them up.
3. Put the Nutella, honey, brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan and heat over the stove on a medium temperature.
4. Using a whisk, stir the contents of the saucepan until they are melted and smooth.
5. Pour the contents of the saucepan into your mixing bowl and stir it all together until everything is coated.
6. Empty the contents of the mixing bowl into your cake tin, ensuring your mix is spread evenly and flattened down firmly.
7. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over the top of the mixture.
8. Place the cake tin in the fridge to set. This will take roughly 1 hour.
9. Take your set mixture out of the fridge, remove it from the cake tin and cut it into the desired portions!
There you have it! A quick and easy recipe to making yourself a sweet and tasty snack that can be enjoyed by everyone as part of a healthy and balanced diet. It’s a very flexible recipe, so feel free to experiment with exactly what fruit and nuts you put in it!